INSIDE: Travel isn't just fun, it can also be a great catalyst for personal growth. Let's discover why that is, how to travel for personal growth, and where to go!
The last 3 years have seen a change in the ratio of guided group tours to independent travelers who decide where to go themselves. There seems to be a choice to be more immersed in the atmosphere of a new place. The trend for emotional vacations is gaining momentum.
Let's discuss why travels are so valuable for personal growth and then look at some of the best places to visit...
How Traveling Affects Emotional Well-Being
By migrating, people are essentially doing the same things they've always done, only in a new place. Therefore, the effect is not quite what one would expect. When traveling, on the other hand, people change not only location but also lifestyle. They even change their mindset. Traveling reveals a life that was previously unavailable.
We all sit in our small towns, thinking in familiar patterns. There are so many amazing places in the world, the reality of which is hard to believe in the first moments.
At the same time, each new country is a new everything. Clothes, life, speech, food, culture, architecture, art. Everything! The human brain uses all its resources to create new neural connections and adapt to new conditions to remain stable.
The familiar no longer seems to be the only right thing. And on vacation, the brain is ready to accept new information. It is ready to contemplate, absorb, and familiarize.
The effect for each person depends on the capacity of the personality. The wider it is, the more the trip changes and impresses.
Different Travel Options, Different Effect
If you consider traveling as one of the ways to scale your personality and expand your consciousness, then the type of trip needs to be considered. For example:
- Innovative Cities & City-States - Places like Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Shanghai seem to say that nothing is impossible.
- Touching Nature in All Its Manifestations - Nature is an endless lesson for a human. Flora and fauna show us unconditional processes honed by evolution over billions of years. And it is an endless source of inspiration. It's not uncommon for people to solve long-standing work problems by stumbling upon a clue in nature.
- Relaxing Vacation - Such an option also bears fruit because when we free ourselves from unnecessary things, the necessary, what we knew long ago, but forgot, comes automatically.
Top 5 Countries for Personal Growth Through Travel
Below a small list of what you can see and visit in each of these wonderful countries. Each has a unique cultural, natural, and historical heritage that will positively impact your personal growth.
The Netherlands is a cosmopolitan country with a rich history and cultural heritage. Traveling through this country will allow you to meet friendly and open-minded people, and you can enjoy exquisite architecture and art.
Places you should consider visiting in the Netherlands include:
- Amsterdam - Visit the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, and Anne Frank House. Try hop on hop off Amsterdam to see the hidden beauty of this city.
- Keukenhof - Known as the "Garden of Europe," this park is famous for its blooming tulips.
- Wetzche - This ancient town has canals and bridges, great for strolling.
- Zaanse Schans - Discover traditional Dutch windmills.
The Netherlands is steeped in tolerance and respect for diversity, which can broaden your horizons and enhance your intercultural understanding.
Traveling to this country will help you experience the harmony between man and nature. You can immerse yourself in the unique Japanese culture, including tea ceremonies, art, and samurai culture.
Places to visit in Japan include:
- Kyoto - Famous for its many temples, gardens, and geisha.
- Tokyo - A modern metropolis with vibrant nightlife and fantastic architecture.
- Mount Fuji - A hike up this iconic volcanic mountain is an unforgettable adventure.
- Nara - Visit the large bronze Buddha and ancient temples.
Japan offers a unique experience, blending modern technology with deeply rooted traditions.
India is a country with a rich spiritual heritage and culture. Here you can visit ancient temples, learn about yoga and meditation, and enjoy the diverse flavors of the local cuisine.
Places to visit in India include:
- Taj Mahal - This magnificent mausoleum is considered one of the world's new Seven Wonders.
- Varanasi - This sacred city on the banks of the Ganges is famous for its Arti Ceremonies.
- Rajasthan - Explore this state with its colorful palaces, forts, and sand dunes.
- Goa - This popular coastline has beautiful beaches and rich culture.
Traveling to India can help you find inner peace and a new appreciation for life.
New Zealand is known for its unique and beautiful, natural diversity, including mountains, lakes, forests, and beaches. Traveling to this country will allow you to immerse yourself in nature and enjoy an active lifestyle.
Visit these places in New Zealand:
- Milford Sound - A beautiful South Island fjord surrounded by waterfalls and mountains.
- Coromandel - Visit white-sand beaches and swim in the hot springs of Hot Water Beach.
- Rotorua - A region of geysers, hot springs, and Māori cultural sites.
- Australian Alps - These mountains are ideal for winter sports or warm-season hiking.
Here, you can experience extreme sports, which will help you develop courage and self-belief.
Iceland is a land of unique landscapes, including volcanoes, glaciers, geysers, and waterfalls. Traveling to Iceland will allow you to experience wild and untamed nature and enjoy moments of solitude and self-reflection.
We suggest visiting the following places in Iceland:
- Golden Circle - Visit the three main attractions: Geysir, Gullfoss, and Thingvellir National Park.
- Jökulsárlón - It is a glacial lake where you can see floating icebergs.
- Blue Lagoon - Here are blue water thermal springs where you can relax and unwind.
- Eyjafjallajökull Volcano - An active volcano that you can explore.
Iceland can stimulate and foster creativity.
How Often Do You Need to Travel?
The cycle of "inspiration - filling - realization of ideas - need a new recharge" after each trip lasts about 3 months. This is the optimal time for a change of location or another trip. At the same time, of course, it is necessary to alternate types of rest so as not to slip into the same emotions.
Frequent travelers note that the emotional level of each next trip wants to rise. For example, the first trip to Egypt has a WOW effect. The second time you'll want to try snorkeling, and the third time, deep-sea diving with scuba diving.
And such behavior just confirms that impressions after each trip are nothing but personal growth through contact with the unknown and untried. It's like a physical activity that gets harder and harder time after time.
Traveling undoubtedly affects a person's personality, but only if he or she is ready for these changes. Your emotional intelligence should be developed enough to see new, unusual circumstances as growth points rather than as a set of problems.
Remember, personal growth depends on your open and self-exploratory approach to travel. Every journey offers unique opportunities for self-improvement and broadening your horizons, so don't be afraid to open yourself up to new experiences and explore the world around you!
Stacey Wonder is a content marketer who enjoys sharing best practices for self-development and careers with others. In her free time, Stacey is fond of contemporary dance and classic French movies. You may feel free to reach out to her at GuestpostingNinja@gmail.com or for collaboration suggestions.
* Crystals and stones should not be used as a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Please read our full disclosure notice here.