INSIDE: There are plenty of chakra opening practices that can help you reduce the amount of blocked energy in your body. Doing so is one of the best ways to feel at your best, as our energy centers manage every aspect of our physical, mental, and emotional health.
We have 7 energy centers in our body, often referred to as ‘chakras,’ the Sanskrit term for ‘wheel’. These 7 centers spin like a wheel, constantly moving our flow of energy and allowing us to function.
A flawless chakra system is when all of the chakras in the body are serving to balance your feelings, thoughts, and actions to align them with your primal needs and higher self.
But, that is near impossible to hold for a period of time as our chakras are constantly opening and closing in response to our lifestyle, environment, interactions, stresses, and so forth.
When any of our chakras are completely closed or blocked, however, it means that our energy isn’t flowing as well as it could be. Similarly, some of our chakras can be open but underactive, or open and overactive, all of which results in physical, mental, and emotional symptoms.
Signs of blocked chakras include:
- Lack of motivation
- High stress
- Physical imbalances
- And much more
It’s important to note the difference between chakra opening and chakra balancing. We don’t always need to open our chakras; we usually need to balance them.
Chakra Opening VS Chakra Balancing
Chakra balancing refers to the work one puts in to realign an already open chakra that’s underactive, overstimulated or clogged.
Chakra opening is the act of beginning to allow energy to flow through the chakras. It’s setting the intention to focus on healing so that your chakras can serve you optimally.
In this article, we provide tips on chakra opening, giving you the best ways to open each chakra as well as examples of crystals you can use along the way.
Let’s dive in!
How to Open The Root Chakra
The root chakra is the first chakra, located at the base of the spine. It resonates with the color red and represents our basic survival needs.
When this chakra is closed, you'll feel unstable, insecure and uncertain with your life. There’s an inability to move forward and be present in the moment. You might find that you're constantly living in your head, full of fears and anxieties.
There are many ways to open the root chakra, including:
- Reiki healing
- Grounding yourself by spending time in nature
- Movement, such as yoga
- Root chakra opening meditations
- Using grounding root chakra crystals such as Smoky Quartz or Black Obsidian
Root Chakra Opening Symptoms
Here are some ways to tell if your root chakra is beginning to open…
- You feel a strong connection to the earth
- You feel stable and secure with your life
- You are moving forward in your life
How To Open The Sacral Chakra
The sacral chakra is the second chakra, located just below the navel. It shines a bright orange and rules our creative and sexual expression.
When your sacral chakra is closed, you may deal with an abundance of unbalanced emotions, a lack of drive, confidence and self esteem.
Some ways you can open the sacral chakra include:
- Connecting to water by spending time near it, taking a bath or swimming
- Taking up creative hobbies such as drawing, painting, or writing
- Movement, such as dancing or yoga
- Practicing sacral chakra meditations
- Using sacral chakra crystals such as Carnelian
Sacral Chakra Opening Symptoms
Here are some ways to tell if your sacral chakra is beginning to open…
- You feel connected to yourself and others
- You have the energy and drive to accomplish your goals
- You feel confident and stimulated
How to Open the Solar Plexus Chakra
The Solar Plexus is the third chakra, sitting at the upper abdomen. This chakra represents our personal power and purpose, matching the frequency of the color yellow.
When your solar plexus is closed, you may deal with symptoms like lack of confidence, eating disorders, or poor gut health.
Some ways you can open up your solar plexus include:
- Connecting with the sun by spending time outside
- Practicing yoga or simply exercising to release endorphins
- Eating yellow foods like bananas to aid in digestion
- Using solar plexus crystals like Citrine while practicing a solar plexus chakra meditation
Solar Plexus Opening Symptoms
Here are some ways to tell if your solar plexus chakra is beginning to open…
- You feel inspired to reach for your goals
- You have the energy to take control of your life
- You’re able to listen to and follow your gut instincts
How to Open the Heart Chakra
The heart chakra is the fourth chakra, located in the center of the chest. This chakra regulates our emotions and is our source of love and connection.
When your heart chakra is closed, you experience feelings of apathy and detachment from others or yourself.
Some ways you can open your heart chakra are:
- Spending time with children
- Taking care of an animal
- Pampering yourself and focusing on self-care
- Using heart chakra crystals such as Emerald and Rose Quartz
- Practicing a heart chakra meditation
Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
Here are some ways you can tell your heart chakra is beginning to open…
- You feel a sense of compassion for yourself and those around you
- You have faith and trust in your relationships
- You feel safe to love
How to Open the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra, located in the throat. This chakra is responsible for our verbal expression and communication, matching the frequency of the color blue.
When the throat chakra is closed, you may deal with an inability to express your truth and feel isolated from others.
Some ways you can open your throat chakra include:
- Communicating with loved ones
- Singing or simply humming along to music
- Journaling or writing and sharing your emotions
- Using throat chakra crystals like Lapis Lazuli and Sodalite
Throat Chakra Opening Symptoms
Here are some signs that tell you your throat chakra is beginning to open…
- You’re able to voice your opinions
- You can express yourself creatively without fear of judgement
- You feel a sense of personal freedom
How to Open the Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra and it is located just between the eyebrows. This chakra is our source of intuition and wisdom, connecting us to the spiritual realm.
When the third eye chakra is closed, you’re unable to listen to your instincts and may experience brain fog, headaches, or migraines.
Some ways you can open your third eye chakra are:
- Meditating regularly
- Keeping a dream journal to notice any recurring signs and make sense of them
- Using third eye chakra crystals such as Amethyst
Third Eye Chakra Opening Symptoms
Here are some ways you can tell your third eye chakra is beginning to open:
- You feel a stronger connection to spirituality
- Having more dreams
- An ability to access your inner wisdom
How to Open the Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is the 7th and final chakra, located at the crown of the head. This chakra is represented by the colors white and violet and is our source of spiritual connection and enlightenment.
When your crown chakra is closed, you may deal with symptoms like depression, loss of faith, and mental fog.
Some ways to open your crown chakra include:
- Meditating with crown chakra crystals like Clear Quartz and Selenite
- Practicing gratitude and positive affirmations
- Setting daily or weekly intentions
- Reiki healing
Crown Chakra Opening Symptoms
Symptoms of your crown chakra beginning to open include:
- Increased awareness
- Feeling connected to the universe
- A clear sense of purpose
By working with these chakra opening practices, you can have more control over the energy flow taking place in your body, which has a direct influence on how you feel physically, mentally, and emotionally.